How much weight can you lose by eating yogurt daily? (numbers revealed)

I won’t be touching on any behavioural neuroscience tricks today. But there’s something I really wanted to share with you.

There are lots of theories floating around out there about yogurt, right? But let me tell you about the real deal here: Recent scientific studies finally confirmed that yogurt makes you thinner!

Lactose-intolerant?
Don’t worry. Even if you have a general intolerance for dairy products, you are okay to consume yogurt given that the process of making it converts the lactose in the milk into non-offensive lactic acid.

The Harvard Study

A colossal Harvard project published in 2011 finally uncovered incredibly comprehensive data collected over 20 years from a total of 120,877 healthy men and women in their 30s, 40s and 50s.

They analysed the impact of numerous foods and drinks on the volunteers’ shape, and for the first time there is striking evidence on how much weight each of these can make you put on. But the most provocative surprise from this study is that some foods can actually help you lose weight. And guess what? The top runner in this list was… yogurt!

Harvard’s exposé concludes that a regular yogurt eater would lose nearly a pound every four years with every serving of this super food.

The Harvard scientists theorised that yogurt’s healthy bacteria in the digestive tract influenced weight loss.

Have it daily and colonise your gut with these friendly divas: lactobacillus acidophilus, lactobacillus casei, lactobacillus reuteri, lactobacillus thermophius and lactobacillus bulgaricus. They’ll prevent (the ever fattening) constipation.

But wait. There’s more. I must apologise in advance because it’ll get a bit “smelly.” But keep reading. You won’t believe what else scientists discovered.

FREE TIPS THIS WAY TO GET SKINNY + TRANSFORM YOUR LIFE →

The Danish connection: Could a high calcium dairy diet promote fat loss?

Perhaps the most exciting discovery is the one that connects fat loss with yogurt’s high calcium content…

In 2010, a group of Danish scientists conducted a study on 10 individuals to prove this connection:

a. Week one. They ate the same number of calories and the same fat content in foods, plus an added ingredient: each consumed one litre of low-fat yogurt a day.

b. Week two. The low-fat yogurt and any kind of dairy were completely removed from their diet.

Throughout the course of the project, the scientists collected and meticulously examined each of the volunteers’ daily faeces. I know, ewwww.

But how much fat did they find in these?

Surprisingly, on week one (high calcium dairy diet) they excreted double the amount of fat than in week two (low calcium diet).

The difference in the fat excretion was so huge, that if a volunteer would have followed the diet for a full year, this is how it would have looked like:

calcium dairy diet vs fat excreted
* Source: BBC files, 2010.

The Danish scientists explained that the calcium in dairy binds to fat molecules in the small intestines, making it difficult to absorb the fat, which is in turn excreted in the faeces instead of affecting your body weight. Three further studies support the Danish findings that calcium reduces the absorption of fat in the gut.

The results were so clear that the Danish scientists believe that if you add more calcium from low-fat dairy sources daily you should be losing at least 3 kilos (6.6 pounds) a year.

Yogurise everything!

I think it’s nice to know that you can sit back, enjoy a pot, and let the calcium and probiotics do all the weight-loss work for you. Plus its rich protein content gives your brain a powerful “satiation hit” too. And, as you’ve probably heard, lactic acid takes longer to digest, keeping you full for longer.

So, enough said. Now, I want to hear from you (this is no place for shyness!): What brands do you buy? How often do you have it? Are you planning to include more of it in your next shop? (I am!)

oxoxox,

signature

ENJOYED THIS? SIGN UP FOR WEEKLY UPDATES. IT’S FREE! →

Share Button

27 comments:

Shana LaForeSeptember 14, 2013 at 8:25 pmReply

Great info. Yogurt has always been a go-to snack for me. I knew it was healthy, but it’s really nice to see the ft reducing benefits as well!!

Alejandra RuaniSeptember 14, 2013 at 8:50 pmReply

So then you already are 6 pounds thinner from it :-)

Sonja KellerSeptember 10, 2013 at 10:38 amReply

Wow! Who would have thought? I eat plenty of yogurt and have recently started making my own pizza bases with cornflower (I’m celiac) and Greek yogurt. It was delicious! Great research by the way! Thanks for sharing.

Alejandra RuaniSeptember 10, 2013 at 2:52 pmReply

Hi Sonja, I didn’t know you could make pizza base with yogurt!

Julie MarahSeptember 8, 2013 at 10:58 pmReply

Interesting article, thanks for sharing. I too am a fan of plain yohurt with fruit – now I can have more of it!

Alejandra RuaniSeptember 10, 2013 at 2:52 pmReply

definitely, Julie!!

Adi Maor SisoSeptember 7, 2013 at 11:13 amReply

That is SO interesting!
Especially since I eat a small yogurt almost every day….
I know that sometimes too much dairy can be unhealthy, but I guess everything in our menu should be within reason…
Thanks for sharing.

Alejandra RuaniSeptember 7, 2013 at 1:16 pmReply

Nice, Adi! The beauty is that yogurt (as well as cottage cheese) don’t have lactose. It’s a shame some people stop consuming them because of misinformation. A real shame. These 2 are quite beneficial.

Marsha from YesYesMarsha.comSeptember 7, 2013 at 6:37 amReply

This is SO interesting – I had no idea!!

My sweetheart works in an organic grocery. He often brings home the expired milk to make yoghurt out of it, so that’s where I get most of mine.

Though I also LOVE Greek yoghurt (and especially its high protein!)

Thanks Alejandra!

Alejandra RuaniSeptember 7, 2013 at 1:18 pmReply

What a nice perk, having access to organic goods en-masse, Marsha.

Aimelie RonquilloSeptember 7, 2013 at 3:13 amReply

Very interesting. I knew yogurt could be beneficial to your diet, but reading about the studies done, makes me like yogurt even more!! Thanks for sharing!!

Alejandra RuaniSeptember 7, 2013 at 1:19 pmReply

indeed, delicious and beneficial, Aimelie! Thanks

LacySeptember 6, 2013 at 8:40 pmReply

I’ve been serving plain Greek yogurt with a little fruit for dessert lately, and my family loves it!

Alejandra RuaniSeptember 7, 2013 at 12:35 amReply

I like this idea, Lacy. I will try it out

Melissa BurkheimerSeptember 6, 2013 at 2:58 amReply

I’ve just come to like yogurt and this info is super helpful. Time to start adding more of it into my diet!

Alejandra RuaniSeptember 6, 2013 at 7:07 pmReply

lovely to hear, Melissa

EliseSeptember 5, 2013 at 8:17 pmReply

Alejandra! I remind my clients (and myself) all the time to let go of all the crazy rules and restrictions and tune into the wisdom of your body. There are so many people who have cut out ALL dairy because many have deemed it a “bad” food. Thank you for giving us permission to learn the facts and decide for ourselves whether yogurt is a food to keep on eating.

Alejandra RuaniSeptember 5, 2013 at 9:44 pmReply

oh Elise I’m with you, scare tactics about non-organic, GMO, lactose, gluten… all of a sudden everyone seems to be intolerant. Whereas most of us probably have a bread-gene by now! You’re giving me an idea for a next post, this is just the beginning!

Silvia BiancoSeptember 5, 2013 at 7:40 pmReply

Alejandra, I knew that yogurt was good for digestion but this study is quite impressive. Thanks for this post.

Alejandra RuaniSeptember 5, 2013 at 9:45 pmReply

indeed, Silvia… there’s more to it than the Activia commercial! :-)

Lana ShlaferSeptember 5, 2013 at 2:58 amReply

You are hilarious, my dear! And full of wonderful information to ponder. Once again, I don’t believe that same things works for everyone and I prefer intuitive eating over expert-led eating. Personally though, I love yogurt and go through periods where I eat it frequently. I’ve recently discovered coconut milk yogurt and that’s just divine (if you haven’t tried it, do it!). I also love frozen yogurt and have decided that since it has all the awesome bacteria, it totally counts as a health food! ;-)

Alejandra RuaniSeptember 5, 2013 at 1:16 pmReply

Lana you’re the example I wanted to show, meaning it’s possible to enjoy food like a normal modern human being and look gorgeous, healthy and gracious!

HannaSeptember 4, 2013 at 11:40 pmReply

Oh yes! Yogurt. I’ll let go of my “guilty pleasure” (I’m trying to steer clear of dairy – too mucous & acid forming IMO) but at least I can now justify that one bowl of full fat (or even higher fat content) that I have everyday :)

Alejandra RuaniSeptember 5, 2013 at 1:16 pmReply

exactly, Hanna, you go girl

Weight Loss DietsAugust 11, 2013 at 3:40 pmReply

I almost never leave a response, but I read a few of the remarks on this page
Could yogurt be a key to help you lose weight?
| Health Divas. I actually do have 2 questions for you if it’s okay. Could it be only me or do a few of the responses appear like they are written by brain dead folks? :-P And, if you are posting on additional online social sites, I would like to follow anything new you have to post. Would you post a list of the complete urls of all your social networking sites like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

CatherineJuly 29, 2013 at 6:16 pmReply

Good to know one of my very favorite foods is good for me!

Alejandra RuaniSeptember 5, 2013 at 9:45 pmReply

lovely to hear, Catherine!

Leave Your Comment or Question: